Increasing the Back Width from Across the Armholes – Option 3A
We continue to discuss options to correct a tight across-back from armhole to armhole. You can see the yoke and pleats correction here.
Have you ever wondered how to get that perfect “S” shape in your Center back seam? Here’s how! We will add a CB seam to help with the movement of the across-back area. You’ll use this correction when you’re happy with the back neck position and want to add a center back seam.
1. If you feel like the across back area is tight, Cut your pattern open vertically in the center back area.
2. Tape and measure the amount you’ve opened.
3. Come back to your pattern and add half of the amount to your pattern.
4. This will give a nice curvature to the CB seam.
5. If you have a back dart, you can continue to shape the CB seam by reducing the dart amount by 1/3 and taking that amount from the CB seam. This gives a lovely S curve to your CB seam.
This is a great solution when you need more movement to the across-back area.
This information and more can be found in The Fitting Book. Order your book today through the link below.